Safari Wander 2022
(Tumaren Camp & Karisia Walking Safaris)
• Guided by members of Kenya’s most highly regarded guides, guests are immersed in the quietude of two of Kenya’s most authentic safari experiences.
• In Laikipia, immerse yourself in the smells, sights, and sounds of the bush while considering the great need to preserve the ecology, wildlife, and peoples of the surroundings.
• Walk with members of the Tumaren community and learn the art of tracking.
• Explore the best of the Masai Mara, game driving in some of the most renowned wildlife areas, as well as on guided bush walks in some of the more hidden exclusive areas.
Fly to Nanyuki, transfer to Karisia Luxury Mobile – 3 nights.
Personalised, small-scale, and family-run, the walking safaris are supported by camels. The trips offer a fascinating perspective on the diverse wildlife and their habitats as well as the opportunity to enjoy a unique, off-the-grid safari.
On foot, you fine-tune your senses and learn from the knowledgeable guides. A train of friendly camels carry the luxury safari camps to remote and splendid locations each day; a traditional adventure and an exhilarating safari experience.
Across rugged landscapes, your journey will take you across the 3,000-acre Tumaren Ranch. Starting at the permanent camp, the camel train treks out carrying all manner of tent furnishings, from beds to chairs, nightstands to bucket showers.
Tumaren Ranch is dedicated to the conservation of the wildlife in the area, and over the last few years, numbers have increased spectacularly.
Private charter to Nanyuki. Fly to Masai Mara – 3 nights.
This small, eco-conscious, intimate, classic camp is tastefully constructed on the banks of the Mara River.
Built along the riverbank, the tents’ private verandahs, open bathrooms, and outdoor bathtubs provide the perfect lookout for hippo pods in the Mara River and views over the Olooloo Escarpment. To get to the understated yet cozy camp, guests need to cross, on foot, a narrow, thrilling 250-foot rope bridge. This line represents a crossover into the ‘wild’, where Wi-Fi, instant messaging, and emails are lost to the ether. One night in ‘The Nest’, built 12 feet up into a Warburgia tree, gives guests the opportunity to enjoy a truly romantic evening with the serenade of nearby hippo.
Mara North Conservancy offers undisturbed wildlife viewing and endless walking opportunities with knowledgeable guides. The conservancy is exclusively used by the visitors of the member properties and therefore there is a very low vehicle density.
Fly to Wilson Airport in Nairobi, transfer to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport – Depart.
Sadly, the end of your safari; other plans can be made to go to East Africa’s soft white beaches and historic coastal towns, include another safari destination, or depart for home.
MID SEASON | 06 Jan – 30 Jun, 01 Oct – 15 Dec
HIGH SEASON | 01 Jul – 30 Sept
• A moderate level of fitness is required, however, the walking programme can be adapted based on the abilities of each group.
• There is a baggage restriction of 15 kgs on all internal flights.
• Full board accommodation
• Soft drinks, beer, house wines, and selected spirits
• Park and conservancy fees
• Visits to local manyattas and markets (Tuesdays and Wednesdays only) and rock climbing at Karisia Luxury Mobile
• Day and night game drives, guided bush walks, sundowners, and bush meals at Ngare Serian
• One night in The Nest treehouse at Ngare Serian
• Exclusive use of safari vehicle along with private guide and spotter at Ngare Serian
• Scheduled flights and domestic flight departure tax
• Meet and assist on arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
• Airport and airstrip transfers
• AMREF Flying Doctors Membership
• Laundry and all statutory taxes
• Champagne, luxury spirits & select wines
• Additional activities not mentioned in inclusions
• All statutory increases beyond our control
• International flights & visa fees